Voodoo Emo Cake

My niece was recently 16 and I offered to make her a cake to help celebrate her birthday.
I have watched her grow up over the years from a little girl who liked princesses and pink to a full blown teenager who loves her music, piercings and individuality.
I knew that she would like a cake that was a little off the wall and know that she loved her Nightmare before Christmas inspired cake that I did for her a couple of years ago.
I came up with the idea of an Emo Voodoo cake, even though she IS NOT an Emo, it is just easier to say that the cake is.
The cake itself is a chocolate chip sponge cake with a butter cream filling in between the two layers used to make it. I covered it in white ready to roll icing which I got from the supermarket in the clearance section because it was going out of date at the end of August (this was bought in June)? and some black sugar paste icing which I cut into squares and made a checker board effect over half of the cake (Two Tone Records inspired)
I used the same icing to make the voodoo doll which I was quite proud of and finished him off with real pins and a badge of love, just to show that he isn't that evil.
The detailing was finished off using a great bit of kit in the form of an icing pen. It looks like a felt tip  pen and also writes like one. My tip for using it though would be to let the icing dry out as it makes it easier to write on.
Overall I loved making this cake and it gave me a little more experience in making figures out of icing. Something which I hope to do a lot more of in the future.
My niece Aimee blowing out her candles

Comments

Emma Scott said…
Hi love the cake with the voodoo did u make it the night before make it to stand properly x