A simple and basic cupcake recipe

Thanks to Carrie Bradshaw the Cupcake has become the trendy food of the noughties and it seems that if you don't have cupcakes at your party or get together then you are simply not in vogue.
With cupcake shops popping up all over the place and charging the earth for what is basically a kids tea party food, you can understand why I felt the need to learn how to make them for myself, and save a few pounds.
I tried lots of different recipes but in the end found that this was the easiest and most consistent way to make cupcakes.
Instead of using plain flour and baking powder I opted for Self raising flour as I always had different results using baking powder. Maybe it was the various spoons I used?
I also do my cupcakes in a food processor. With that comment I hear a thousand purest scream in anger, but I can't be bothered standing there creaming butter and sugar, plus I am not that fit.
So hear is my recipe for basic cupcakes.

Ingredients
Makes Approx 12

150g Butter
150g Cater Sugar
175g Self raising flour
3 medium eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Method

Make sure that your butter is at room temperature and place in a food processor along with the sugar. Blitz for 1 minute until smooth.
Add 1 egg at a time whist the motor is still running and just before you add the last egg sprinkle in a tablespoon of self raising flour. This will help prevent the mixture from splitting.
Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and stop. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Sieve in half of the self raising flour and mix with a balloon whisk. Then sieve in the remaining flour and stop mixing when all the flour has been incorporated.
Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases and fill each one half way. I use an ice cream scoop as it gives you an even mix and rise.
Place in the middle of a pre heated oven gas mark 4/160C for exactly 18 minutes.
Remove and allow to cool for a minute then transfer to a wire rack.

That's is your basic cupcake done, but how to make the soft and yummy topping I hear you ask.
I use butter cream for my topping which may sound complicated but is one of the most simples things in the world.
Again using a food processor add 250g of butter and 500g of icing sugar. (basically 1 part butter, 2 parts icing sugar). Blitz for a minute to form your butter cream.
At this stage you can add any flavourings such as lemon or vanilla and any colouring, then just whizz for a couple of seconds to blend.

Comments